BEIRUT – On Thursday (12/4) this is a time limit of a truce between the Syrian government and the opposition. As reported by Reuters, not of violence and gunfire in Syria.
The people in the province of Homs, Hama and Idlib Syria said the situation more calmly. An activist in Damascus also said the same thing.
“Last night was a bloody event, but now calmed down and there was no fire,” said an activist named Abu Rami.
However, hopes for an end to the bloodshed that has emerged over the past 13 months remained low. There has been no sign of Syrian military forces withdraw from Homs in accordance with the ceasefire agreement proposed by Kofi Annan. “There are no signs of withdrawal of troops, snipers and armed forces are still visible throughout the city,” added Rami.
Meanwhile, the watchdog group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (Human Rights) reported the blast occurred in Zabadani, shortly after the time limit set. However, residents contacted by Reuters said the city was quiet.
Previously, Syrian Defense Ministry on Wednesday (12/4) said it would halt military operations on Thursday morning, but did not mention would withdraw its troops. The Syrian government insisted, they still have the right to defend themselves when the rebels continue to attack. Attacks during the past week sparked doubts about the ceasefire agreement.
Annan’s spokesman, Ahmad Fawzi, said the team of observers will monitor the agreement. However, he did not comment on the progress of the observer team led by Norwegian Major General Robert Mood. Annan, he said, will give a brief explanation of the last condition Syria to the UN Security Council.
Syria’s UN ambassador, Bashar Ja’fari said the Syrian government obey the peace agreement. Yet, Syria remains alert to counterattack when the opposition attack.
While the opposition said it would stop firing if Assad to withdraw troops and a cease-fire. “Announcement of the Ministry of Defense Syria will withdraw and stop the violence will we wait until tomorrow,” said Ja’fari.